- January 8, 1934 - IF Gene Freese was born in Wheeling, West Virginia. Augie went to Wheeling Central HS and West Liberty State College, spending two stints (1955-58, 64-65) and six years with the Bucs. Mostly a reserve with Pittsburgh, he hit .247 as a Pirate, though while between Bucco rosters, he started at third for three years at Cincinnati.
- January 8, 1969 - RHP Brian Boehringer was born in St. Louis, Missouri. The reliever closed out his 10 year MLB career in Pittsburgh between 2002-04, with a Bucco record of 10-9-1, 4.36 ERA.
- January 8, 2008 - In his ninth year on the BBWAA's ballot, Rich “Goose” Gossage was the only player elected to the Hall of Fame. During Goose's' 22-year career, he compiled a 124-107 record, saved 310 games, and posted a 3.01 ERA. He spent 1977 as a Pirate, going 11-9-26 with a 1.62 ERA and 151 K in 133 IP. Goose was inducted on July 27th.
Hostess series 1977
- January 9, 1918 - The Pirates traded P Burleigh Grimes to the Brooklyn Robins in a five player exchange that brought Casey Stengel back to Pittsburgh. Hall of Famer Grimes went on to win 158 games in nine seasons with Brooklyn. The Bucs top prize was George Cutshaw. The slick fielder manned second for Pittsburgh for four years, hitting .275.
- January 9, 2006: 37 year old OF Jeromy Burnitz was signed by the Bucs to a $6M contract. He hit .230 for Pittsburgh during his last year in the majors.