- AJ won't return in mid season, shooting down one of the trendy options being floated about.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe gives his two cents on the AJ situation, writing that "The Pirates probably won’t go after a pitcher if he does retire. Right now, the Pirates are looking for a full-time first baseman and would use the Burnett resources toward that end." (scroll down; it's near the end of his column)
- Last note on AJ: John Perrotto of the Beaver County Times says the Pirates offer to Burnett was $8.5M, and Saber Bucs thinks that's about fair.
- Clay Davenport has his early team W/L projections, and has the Bucs coming in second in the Central with 83 wins, not enough to get in the playoffs. Pittsburgh will do well to keep an eye on Milwaukee, which signed Matt Garza and Mark Reynolds with Ryan Braun returning.
- John Dreker of Pirates Prospects notes that six of the 15 top young guns in the Bucco organization played winter ball, and has a report on how they did.
- Allan Smith of Sports Media 101 takes a look at Tyler Glasnow and some other fifth round Pirate picks who have made the grade.
- Seven Pirates made Baseball Prospectus' Top 101 Prospects: Jameson Taillon (#19), Gregory Polanco (#24), Tyler Glasnow (#42), Reese McGuire (#59), Josh Bell (#77), Nick Kingham (#80) and Ausitn Meadows (#89).
- James Krug of isports.com uses the projection systems to show the Pirates regressing to a .500 team this year, and lists some of the reasoning.
- MLB Trade Rumors has excerpts of Frank Connelly's interview with David Todd of 93.7 The Fan, touching on TV money and off-season moves.
- Allan Smith of Sports Media 101 selects the Bucs' Team of the Decade, based on the best season had by a Pirate at each of the nine positions on the diamond.
- Ex Bucs: Dewey may or may not have given up catching after a run of concussions.
Monday, January 27, 2014
AJ, Young Guns, Projections, Monday Mashup...