- All six remaining arb-eligible Bucs - Pedro Alvarez, Vin Mazzaro, Mark Melancon, Gaby Sanchez, Travis Snider and Neil Walker (Charlie Morton signed a contract while Garrett Jones and Mike McKenry were non-tendered) - filed for salary arbitration Tuesday, and will exchange salary figures with management on Friday. Around the league, 146 players filed of the 180 who are arb-eligible. The others have agreed to contracts. Hearings begin in February.
- Vinny Gala of Rant Sports posts that Jeff Locke looks like the odd man out in the rotation, at least early in the year.
- Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com writes that the Bucs can't overlook the hole at first. Tom Smith of Rumbunter isn't buying it.
- Saber Bucs thinks that Edison Volquez was in the process of reinventing himself last season, and it may bear fruit this year.
- Add Peter Gammons to the Gregory Polanco fan club.
- Teddy Cahill of MLB.com has Bucco farmhand Alen Hanson as one of his Top Ten minor league SS prospects. RHP Jameson Taillon made the Top Ten RHP Prospects, and Tyler Glasnow just missed the cut. C Reese McGuire made the roster of the Top Ten catching prospects. Mike Rosenbaum of Prospect Pipeline has his Top Ten Pirate prospects, with a couple of newer names than in years past.
- Looking forward to the upcoming season? Allan Smith of Pirates 101 has selected the top 12 series of 2014.
- Ex-Bucs: C Mike McKenry & RHP James McDonald are on MLB.com's Doug Miller's list of under-the-radar value signings left on the FA market. OF Nyjer Morgan signed a deal with the Indians. LHP Zach Duke agreed to a minor league contract with a camp invite with the Brewers. OF/1B Xavier Nady is hoping for a chance at San Diego. C Rod Barajas will manage the Padres' Rookie League club if he can't land a MLB gig for 2014. He last played in the show for the Bucs in 2012.
Thursday, January 16, 2014
Camp is just a month away...