- The Pirates continued their depth signings by bringing back Robert Andino, a middle infielder who played at Seattle and later Indy last season on a minor league deal with a camp invite. He's a decent glove guy and should serve as Clint Barmes' insurance. Andino, a 2002 second-round draft pick of Florida from Miami, has a career .232/.294/.318 slash in 1467 plate appearances (468 games) with the Orioles, Marlins and Mariners.
- Wandy Rodriguez told Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review that he was feeling good, throwing short toss since December and hoping to begin bullpen sessions in a couple of weeks after a winter of rest.
- Speaking of camp invites, RHP Jameson Taillon also received an invitation to the MLB side, as he did last season.
- Tampa, which claimed OF Jerry Sands from the Buc around Christmas, have DFA'ed him.
- Small world: Biertempfel tweets that "former Buc bullpen coach Luis Dorante was named manager of Class A Charleston (Yankees). He replaced Al Pedrique, former Pirates shortstop."
- The Pirates changed four PNC Park game times to accommodate national TV.
- Attorney John Racanelli in Fangraphs examines the little known law suit following Roberto Clemente's fatal plane crash. The Clemente family won the opening round, but later lost on appeal.
Wednesday, January 8, 2014