- Neil Walker accepted a $5.75M contract to avoid arbitration, Pedro Alvarez signed a $4.25M contract, Mark Melancon agreed to a $2.595M contract, Gaby Sanchez inked a $2.3M contract, Travis Snider took to have signed a $1.2M deal and Vin Mazzaro settled for $950K. So all the Bucco arb-eligible players are taken care of. (Charlie Morton was signed for 3yrs/$21M, while Garrett Jones, Mike McKenry and Felix Pie were non-tendered).
- Tom Singer of Change For a Nickle says the Bucs may need AJ more than they publicly admit.
- Dan Szymborski’s ZiPS projections for the 2014 Bucs were posted by Fangraphs. Check out the comparable players; there are some interesting matches.
- Jack Smathers of H4TV notes four things the Bucs have to tighten up before the season.
- Aaron Weitzman of Roto Baller has the 2014 Pirate preview.
- Matt Snyder of Eye on Baseball selects his version of the Bucs All-Time Single Season team. He also added a sidebar piece on Roberto Clemente, who is the MLB's RF career assist leader. No surprise there. As Vin Scully said "Roberto Clemente could field the ball in New York and throw out a guy in Pennsylvania." Wilbur Miller of Bucs Dugout put together his own version, with different results.
- Mark the Shark has been everywhere this offseason...
- Ex Bucs: C Mike McKenry signed a $750K minor league deal with the Rockies. SS John McDonald also signed a minor league deal with the Angels. Both have invites to camp.
- Everybody's finally on board with expanded replay, which will commence this season with a manager's challenge, to be reviewed at a central location in New York.
Friday, January 17, 2014
The Kid, Pedro, Mark the Shark, Gaby, Snider, Vinnie Sign, Bucco Notes
The off season grinds on...