- 1936 - Honus Wagner joined Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson in becoming the first players to enter the new Baseball Hall of Fame. The induction ceremony took place on June 12th, 1939 when the Hall officially opened.
- 1964 - P Burleigh Grimes was selected for the Baseball Hall of Fame by the Special Veterans Committee and was inducted on July 27th. The 270 game winner began, ended, and played some during the middle of his career with the Pirates. Also chosen was OF Heinie Manush, who spent his last two seasons (1938-39) in Pittsburgh, getting 25 at-bats.
The magazine cover says it all..."Burleigh Grimes, the Spitball King."
- 1969 - RHP Waite "Schoolboy" Hoyt was voted into the Hall of Fame by the Special Veteran's Committee. He spent 4-1/2 of his 21 pro seasons in Pittsburgh between 1933-37, going 35-31, topped by a 15-5 record in 1934. He was inducted on July 28th.
- 1976 - The Special Veterans Committee selected OF Freddie Lindstrom to the Hall of Fame. He played two years for Pittsburgh, hitting .302 and driving in 147 runs. He was inducted on August 9th.
- 1983 - SS Ronny Cedeno was born in Puerto Cabello, Venezuela. He manned the spot for Pittsburgh from 2009-11, hitting a streaky .254 but never showing any consistency in the field, flashing the good, the bad and the ugly with his leather.
- 1988 - Buc OF Travis Snider was born in Kirkland, Washington. Happy 26th B-Day!