- Gaby Sanchez, the forgotten man at first, came to camp 20 pounds lighter and looking for a full-time gig according to Rob Biertempfel of the Trib. The in-house competition, Andrew Lambo, is also in camp and taking plays at first.
- So far, so good. Wandy Rodriguez, who was shut down much of last season with arthritis, threw his first camp bullpen and said it was painless.
- Charlie Wilmoth of Bucs Dugout believes that the Pirate inactivity this off season was due to their Plan A scenario crashing in flames and no real Plan B to back it up. Tom Singer of MLB.com wrote that the Pirate brass have a different spin: Clint Hurdle emphasized that "We will always rely...on developing our own talent," while Neal Huntington simply stated that "Payroll does not equal playoff."
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects says the next Bucco edge may come via outfield shifts. With Cutch and Starling Marte, they already have a pair of premier defenders, and when Gregory Polanco comes along, they'll have three bona-fide center fielders roaming the pasture.
- Ex Bucs: Lloyd McClendon is fired up and ready to lead the Mariners. The Rays are kicking Eric Bedard's tires.
- A college note: Pitt went to South Carolina to play their season opener yesterday against Coastal Carolina - and got snowed out.
Saturday, February 15, 2014
Camp Notes, OF Shift, Off Season Takes & Stuff...
USA USA USA - oh, wait, this is baseball...