- The Bucs visit Toronto at 1:05 PM today, and MLBNetwork will show the replay at 10am Saturday morning. The lineup: Starling Marte CF, Clint Barmes SS, Jose Tabata RF, Pedro Alvarez 3B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Tony Sanchez C, Matt Hague DH, Robert Andino 2B, Mel Rojas Jr. LF, Gerrit Cole RHP, Jameson Taillon RHP, Phil Irwin RHP, Jay Jackson RHP, Jake Brigham RHP and Andy Oliver LHP.
- The Bucs sent the Evil Empire to defeat again 8-2. Gregory Polanco (in his first spring at-bat) and Mel Rojas, Jr. homered. Tony Sanchez kept up his extra-base barrage with a double while Andrew Lambo, playing at first, made a couple of nice digs, so it looks like he's adjusting to the position.
- Eno Sarris of Rotoworld looks at the Buc bullpen closer situation.
- Jeanmar Gomez told MLB.com's Tom Singer that there's no competition between him and Stolmy Pimentel because they're buds.
- The "oven mitt" sliding glove Starling Marte wore after spraining his finger last year looks like it's a permanent attachment now. An ounce of prevention...
- In spite of his so far modest production, Bill Brink of the Post-Gazette writes that the Bucs have had an eye on Brent Morel for a few years.
- Fangraph's Carson Cistulli looks at the Steamer projections for Pirate prospects; Jaff Decker leads the field, topping both Jameson Taillon and Gregory Polanco. Mark Hulet has the Top Ten prospects overall, and David Laurila has a piece on Stetson Allie; the word "immature" comes up pretty often.
Friday, February 28, 2014
Quiet camp so far...