- The Blacks beat the Golds 4-3 yesterday. Tony Sanchez had a three-run bomb and a double, both the opposite way. Andrew Lambo went 1-for-2 with a walk, whiff, very loud, long foul and two runs scored. He kept up the work today, banging out another three-run shot in a 6-5 wins over the Evil Empire.
- Thursday's lineup: Jaff Decker RF, Gregory Polanco CF, Chris Dickerson LF, Andrew Lambo 1B, Tony Sanchez DH, Chris Stewart C, Josh Harrison 3B, Clint Barmes SS, Michael Martinez 2B, RHP Charlie Morton, LHP Jeff Locke, LHP Yao-Hsun Yang, LHP Daniel Schlereth, RHP Brandon Cumpton and RHP Cody Eppley. They play at the Yankees and will be on radio at 1:05; they're also the tape delay game on MLB Network.
- The first camp casualty: Travis Ishikawa has tightness in his right leg and will likely need a couple days of rest.
- Jon Heyman of Baseball Insider posts that the Bucs are one of seven teams that watched Johan Santana work out.
- Joe Lucia of The Outside Corner gives the Bucs a C- for their off season activity. Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs added that the Pirates dropped 5 WAR from 2013 to 2014, signalling some regression.
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects notes that the Bucs are making their presence felt in Taiwan.
- Ex Bucs: Alex Presley is starting off camp with the CF job his to lose in Minnesota. Andy Martino of the NY Daily News writes that both the Mets and Yankees are watching Joel Hanrahan's recovery from TJ surgery. Erik Bedard is looking to land a back-end role in the Tampa Bay rotation.
- The no-collision rule was adopted on an experimental basis for the season. Basically, runners can't go out of their way to trample catchers, and catchers can't block home without the ball.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Spring Has Sprung...
Two in a row for the Buccos (of course, the first win was a scrimmage against themselves, so we guess they're actually 2-1)...