- The Yankees defeated the Pirates, 4-2, at McKechnie Field in the final Grapefruit League game of camp. The Bucs ended up with 14-9-2 record in the GL, and now pack up and head to Philly for a pair of exhibitions before opening against the Cubbies on Monday. They still have some roster trimming to do, and the clock's ticking if they want to bring in an extra gun.
- The average attendance this spring at McKechnie Field was 7,587. That mark easily set the record, breaking the old mark of 6,229 set last spring.
- Drew Silva of Hardball Talk has the 2014 Pirate preview.
- Fangraph's Dave Cameron ranks Pirate starting pitching as just #22 in MLB.
- CBS Sports has its pre-season predictions and award winners.
- The Pirates assigned C Nevin Ashley and RHP Kyle McPherson, who is still recovering from TJ surgery, to minor league camp.
- Matthew Kory of Sports on Earth has a piece on the great nicknames of baseball, and the Waner brothers - Big & Little Poison - are included.
- Ex-Bucs: Alex Presley was waived by the Twins and claimed by the Astros. The Mariners signed pitcher Chris Young to a one-year contract. Mike "Gonzo" Gonzalez agreed to a minor league deal with the Nats and was assigned to AAA Syracuse.
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Bucs Break Camp With 4-2 Loss To CC, Team Notes...
Bucs break camp and head north...