- The Buccos visit the Evil Empire in Tampa tonight. The game starts at 7:05 at Steinbrenner Field and will be on MLB Network, Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan. Edinson Volquez gets the ball for the Bucs. The lineup: Starling Marte LF, Neil Walker 2B, Cutch CF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Tony Sanchez C, Jordy Mercer SS, Jose Tabata RF, Josh Harrison DH and Robert Andino 3B.
- Pittsburgh lost to Baltimore 4-2 last night; Cutch remained en fuego with another homer. Francisco Liriano had a strong outing, but left in the sixth inning with tightness in his groin, which he said was minor but certainly bears watching as Opening Day approaches.
- ESPN has ranked Pedro Alvarez as MLB's #10 hot corner performer.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Tribune Review reported that Jeff Locke tossed a couple of pain-free frames in a sim game at Pirate City yesterday.
- NRI Travis Ishikawa is getting on the radar as a first base candidate, thanks to the less than encouraging performances of Andrew Lambo and Chris McGuiness, according to Tom Singer of MLB.com.
- Doug Thorburn of Baseball Prospectus dissects Tyler Glasnow in his article "Raising Aces."
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects reported that the Bucs released four minor league pitchers: lefty hurlers Zac Fuesser and Dalton Friend, along with right-handers Kevin Kleis and Ethan Hollingsworth.
- Ex-Bucs: The Nats' optioned Ross Ohlendorf to AAA Syracuse.
- Ken Rosenthal tweeted that the Reds expect Aroldis Chapman to be out 6-8 weeks before he can begin pitching activities again after undergoing surgery to repair broken facial bones.
Friday, March 21, 2014
Bucs Visit NY, Camp Notes
The clock is ticking...ten days to the opener: