- The Bucs were rained out yesterday and are off today. They resume action tomorrow night when they visit the Bosox at 7:05, with the game on both Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- ESPN is selecting their top MLB players by position, starting at second base. Neil Walker earns the #8 spot with an arrow.
- C Chris Stewart injured his knee a few days ago and is looking at surgery; the Pirates think it may be a torn meniscus. The extent of the injury and the amount of time he'll miss will determine if Tony Sanchez breaks with the big club or still opens the year at Indy.
- Russ Martin told Dan Martin of the NY Post that replacing him with Brian McCann was "an expensive mistake" by the Yankees.
- Ex-Bucs: RHP James McDonald's bid to earn the last spot in the Cubs' rotation suffered a blow Monday when he was pulled after two pitches because of right shoulder soreness. RHP Jose Contreras is considering retirement after the Rangers told him he will not make the team. RHP Joel Hanrahan is throwing 90-92 mph after last year's elbow surgery and could sign with a team soon.
- Long time Post Gazette Pirate beat writer Charlie Feeney passed away yesterday. In 1996, Feeney received the the J.G. Taylor Spink Award from the baseball Hall of Fame. A story from his obit: "On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being a great relationship, I probably had a 4 with Clemente," Feeney once recalled. "I told that to Maz one day and he said, 'Pally, you'd better make that a 3.' "
Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Off Day Stuff...
Notes now, camp report later this afternoon...