- Pittsburgh rallied late to take a 6-5 win from the Phils yesterday; Cutch homered.
- Edinson Volquez starts today against the Rays at 1:05 PM at McKechnie Field, with the game broadcast by 93.7 The Fan. The lineup: Chris Dickerson CF, Russ Martin C, Travis Snider RF, Pedro 3B, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Travis Ishikawa DH, Jose Tabata LF, Robert Andino SS and Michael Martinez 2B. So far this spring, Martin has spent a lot of time in the two hole, even when JT is in the lineup.
- The Cubs named Jeff Samardzija as their Opening Day pitcher. He'll match up March 31st at PNC Park against Francisco Liriano to kick off the 2014 season.
- John Lembo of the Bradenton Herald points out that the outfield defense may not get the mad love that infield defensive shifts do, but in Pittsburgh's case is integral to shaving runs against.
- David Schoenfield of ESPN's "Sweet Spot" thinks highly of the Pirates top five core players - and none are pitchers.
- Marcus at Hidden Vigorish takes a look at Neal Huntington's trade partners, an always interesting exercise. The Bosox and Yankees have provided the bulk of NH's return so far.
- Ex Bucs: Zach Duke is impressing the Brewers with his stuff as he transitions to a full-time bullpen gig. Brett Lorin, who the D-backs took from Pittsburgh in 2012 as a Rule 5 pick, was released tho he had a solid season in AAA last year.
Saturday, March 15, 2014
St. Paddy Notes
Sure and begorra, the season is a couple of weeks away...