Charlie Morton (0-3, 4.35) is scheduled to take the hill against Chris Tillman (3-1, 3.38) tonight. Morton is still struggling to find his 2013 groove, and hasn't won an interleague game since 2008. Tillman has been pretty steady for the Birds. He's a fastball guy who will flip to offspeed when he has command issues. Tillman is also a homer; he's posted an 0.69 ERA at Camden yards this year.
Lineup: Jose Tabata RF, Ike Davis 1B, Cutch CF, Pedro 3B, Gaby Sanchez DH, Neil Walker 2B, Starling Marte LF, Tony Sanchez C and Jordy Mercer SS. Dropping Marte in the order caused quite a mash up in the lineup. Ike is hitting second instead of Walker, and we're a little surprised Gaby got the DH call against a RHP instead of Travis Snider, tho Clint may be keeping him up his sleeve for a late inning PH role.
The game starts at 7:05, weather permitting, and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Last year, Pittsburgh’s 15-5 record in interleague play was the best in the big leagues and the Pirates are riding a nine game road win streak in interleague play into tonight’s game. The team’s only road loss against an AL team came last year at Detroit.
- It doesn't look like the Pirates are making any calls to Indy for a DH tho the next five games are being played in AL parks; they'll go with what they got. That will leave the club with a four man bench, but since the pitcher doesn't need batted for, it should work out.
- Neal Huntington talked to Greg Brown on 93.7 The Fan about the Pirates current injury situation.
- The Orioles' Manny Machado is ready to come off the DL, perhaps as early as today. He's been off since off-season knee surgery.
- Saber Bucs used a simulator the see if variations of the Pirate lineup would work better than Clint's usual card, and with some flopping around of Cutch, they did.
- Baseball Borders from the NY Times: