Zimmerman was the National's top prospect when he arrived on the MLB scene in 2009 and has developed into a dependable but not ace-material arm, working with a fastball/slider combo. Maybe tonight will be the one where Charlie doesn't give up a big frame and earns that first W of 2014 as he looks to snap a 14-game winless streak. The Pirate righty is 1-2 with a 4.09 ERA in four career starts against Washington.
The lineup: Josh Harrison RF, Neil Walker 2B, Cutch CF, Ike Davis 1B, Russ martin C, Pedro 3B, Starling Marte LF, Clint Barmes SS and Morton P. Bit of a shakeup with Martin back.
The game starts at 7:05 and will be aired on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- The Pirates have reinstated Jason Grilli from the DL and optioned C Tony Sanchez to AAA Indy.
- Cutch is hitting .398 lifetime against the Nats and .443 against them at PNC Park.
- Russ Martin served his suspension last night and is back on the roster now. Stolmy Pimentel is the only Pirate left on the DL, and he's slated to begin rehab soon.
- Four is the magic number. The Nationals are 4-22 when they score fewer than four runs this season and 20-1 when plating four or more runs. The Bucs are 3-20 and 17-6 on either side of the four-run line.
- Clint Hurdle has 799 MLB wins as skipper, one victory away from becoming the sixth active manager with 800 notches. The others are Bruce Bochy, Mike Scioscia, Buck Showalter, Terry Francona and Ron Gardenhire. Hurdle, btw, has won 265 games as the skipper of the Pirates.
- President Obama became the first sitting president to visit the Hall of Fame.
- Ex-Bucs: LHP Rudy Owens, who was part of the Wandy Rodriguez trade package, is slated to make his MLB debut tonight. Owens was 2-3 at AAA Oklahoma City with a 6.05 ERA.