Charlie is coming off a strong start; he's been up-and-down, but hasn't had much run support, getting two or fewer runs from his club in six starts. Shelby rears back and challenges batters with his 95 MPH heat. But he hasn't been as effective as his slash seems; he's walked five batters per game , has a 1.474 WHIP and given up 1.6 HR per game, so we'll see if the Pirate lumber can stay hot against a guy who looks due to regress.
The lineup: Travis Snider RF, neil Walker 2B, Cutch CF, Pedro 3B, Jose Tabata LF, Ike Davis 1B, Jordy mercer SS, Tony Sanchez C and Morton P.
The game starts at 8:07 and will be aired by ESPN and 93.7 The Fan.
- Much to the relief of Gaby and Jordy, minor-league OF'er Jaff Decker was swapped out for Brent Morel, Travis Snider is back and so is Cutch. A day late, but all's well that ends well...
- The Pirates have won 6-of-8, including four in a row. A win tonight would give the Pirates their first series sweep of the season and their first over the Cardinals since September 12-14, 2008 at PNC Park.
- Jason Grilli has progressed to throwing off a mound and Stolmy Pimentel is hoping to do so this week. Russ Martin is off his R&R treatment and is beginning to participate in limited baseball activities. Starling Marte is day-to-day with a lingering back issue.
- Pittsburgh last hosted a Sunday night game in July 1996; about time PNC and the Pirates got a little national love.
- For the upcoming Brewer set, it appears A-Ram will be out (his hammy is expected to land him on the DL), and Ryan Braun (oblique sprain) will return to action.
- Ex-Bucs: Washington 1B Adam LaRoche is on the 15-day DL with a right quad strain. Xavier Nady, recently DFA'ed, has opted for free agency.