Archer, 25, is coming off a shutout of the Astros and features a fastball/slider combo. He can occasionally be wild, but has a n excellent arm. Since May 16th, Archer has held opponents to just four earned runs in 40-2/3 IP (0.90 ERA).
Locke has never pitched against the Rays nor Archer against the Bucs, since the teams haven't met since 2008.
The lineup: Gregory Polanco RF, Starling Marte LF, Cutch CF, Neil Walker 2B, Russ Martin C, Ike Davis 1B, Josh Harrison 3B, Pedro DH and Jordy Mercer SS. The Kid is where he should be in the order.
The game starts at 7:10 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- In the big news of the day, the Pirates have reinstated Neil Walker from the 15-day DL and outrighted Jose Tabata to AAA Indianapolis.
- Dating back to 1914, Gregory Polanco is one of three Pirates to reach safely in each of his first 13 games. The others are Dino Restelli and Gus Suhr.
- In the last 15 games, Pittsburgh's starting pitchers have gone 7-3 with a 3.19 ERA. The starters have gone 11-5 with a 3.31 ERA during June.
- Neil Walker is expected to return tonight in Tampa, and Gerrit Cole on Saturday.
- Tim Williams of Pirates Prospects reported that the Pirates have traded LHP Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.
- Rule 7.13 "Blocking the Plate" update: the MLB announced that effective immediately, umpires are not to apply it on force plays at home plate.