Al Mamaux 1916 The Sporting News series
- 1920 - The Pirates played the Cardinals in the first game ever held at Sportsmans' Park (also the home of the AL's St. Louis Browns) after the Redbirds flew the outdated Robison Field coop. The Bucs took the debut game 6-2 in 10 innings, with Hal Carlson getting the W and Babe Adams picking up the save.
- 1926 - The Bucs broke an eight game losing streak by spanking the Cards at Forbes Field by a 7-3 tally as Kiki Cuyler and Pie Traynor each drove in three. In spite of that losing string, they claimed first place three weeks later, eventually fading to third with an 84-69 slate, five games out.
- 1940 - The Pirates scored once in the ninth to tie the game and added another in the 10th to nose past the Chicago Cubs 4-3 at Wrigley Field. Vince DiMaggio was the hitting star, going 3-for-5 with a homer, double, two RBI and two runs scored. Mace Brown, the third Buc hurler, got the win in relief after pitching scoreless ninth and 10th frames.
- 1960 - The Bucs used their legs to defeat the Dodgers 4-3 in ten innings at Forbes Field. After LA had taken the lead in the top of the 10th on Charlie Neal’s homer, Joe Christopher doubled and scored on Roberto Clemente’s infield hit to the left side. Then The Great One turned on the jets to come home when Dick Stuart’s lazy fly to right dropped. Vern Law worked 9-2/3 innings, but the win went to Fred Green, who got the last out in the tenth.
Vern Law Topps 1958 series
- 1966 - Rookie Woodie Fryman one hit the Mets at Shea Stadium on the way to a 12-0 win. Fryman faced the minimum 27 batters and came this close to perfection. Ron Hunt, who led off the game with a single, was caught stealing by C Jim Pagliaroni and Fryman mowed down the next 26 NY hitters. Jose Pagan chipped in with three runs scored, four RBI and one of the Pirates’ four homers.
- 1972 - Roberto Clemente’s seventh inning homer helped the Bucs rally to take a 2-1 lead over the Cubs at TRS. After the Cubbies answered with a pair of their own to regain their edge 3-2, Clemente homered again in the ninth with Milt May aboard for a walk-off 4-3 win. Both homers were off Fergie Jenkins, who lost to Dave Giusti in relief of Bob Moose.
- 1996 - During a 4-1 win over Chicago at TRS‚ RF Orlando Merced pulled off an unassisted DP‚ catching Mark Grace's liner and then beating Scott Bullett to 1B. He also started another DP, gloving a short pop and catching Doug Glanville off second with his throw to Jay Bell. Merced added a pair of hits, two RBI and a run scored to help Danny Darwin pick up the win.
- 2006 - The Pirates and sponsoring PNC Bank took trinkets to a new level with the “Young Guns - Doumit, Duke and Duffy” (Ryan Doumit, Zach Duke, and Chris Duffy) triple bobblehead giveaway. 37,111 fans flooded PNC Park (playing the Detroit Tigers on a Saturday night may have helped the draw, too) to get theirs as the Bucs won 9-2. None of the Young Guns played.