Morton is getting closer to becoming a complete pitcher. He's finally gotten enough confidence in his arsenal to go after his bane, left handed hitters, by working tight and trusting his off speed stuff. The key to his effectiveness is to prevent the big inning which has bitten him a few times this season.
Anderson was tough on the Bucs last Saturday, going seven innings and giving up a run on four hits with eight whiffs. He filled up the strike zone and had a good slider working. The Pirates will have to solve the breaking ball if they want to get to him tonight. The Rox starting pitchers did a good job against Pittsburgh last weekend with a lot of first strikes and working ahead in the count, so Bucco hitters may have to get a little more aggressive at the plate.
The lineup: Gregory Polanco RF, Josh Harrison LF, Cutch CF, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Neil Walker 2B, Russ Martin C, Jordy mercer SS, Brent Morel 3B and Morton P. Pedro is sitting against a lefty that he just went 1-for-4 with an IBB against; maybe the five LOB played into the decision. Guess Morel can't be a worse option than Michael Martinez in RF.
The game begins at 8:40 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- The Bucs are 5-1 since the break ended; the Rox are 1-5 and just broke a seven-game losing streak.
- Go West, Young Man: The Bucs are 14-5 against the NL West this year, winning each of their first six series against Arizona (2-1), Los Angeles (3-1), San Diego (2-1), San Francisco (2-1), Colorado (3-0) and Los Angeles (2-1).
- Colorado is still pretty beat up. Justin Morneau's "stiff neck" turned into a sprain and Tulo has a hip flexor sprain as both joined Michael Cuddyer on the DL.
- Clint Barnes, who went on the disabled list July 6th (retro to June 30th) with a left groin strain started jogging and will begin taking BP next week, so he's recovering at a good pace. Gerrit Cole appears to be on track for an early-to-mid August return, and we're assuming Starling Marte is being evaluated daily for his concussion. Joining Clint, Gerrit and Starling on the DL is Cheese Chester, who broke his foot racing during the last home stand and looks to be out for six to eight weeks.
- Clint Hurdle is one win away from his 300th victory as skipper of the Pirates.
- RHP Tyler Glasnow is the Bucs only rep in Baseball America's Prospect Hot Sheet, but he is #1 for the second week.
- Ex Bucs: 1B Brandon Moss became the third Oakland Athletics' player to hit a grand slam in three consecutive months. RHP Chris Leroux was DFA'ed by the Yankees.