Eddie has been charged with just two earned runs in his last three starts covering 21 IP and won each game. His last outing was a win against the Phils when he gave up a run on four hits win seven IP. But he hasn't had much good mojo against the Redbirds. Volquez is 3-6 with a 5.58 ERA in 13 career starts against St. Louis, and 0-1 with a 5.63 in three starts this year lasting 18 IP.
Shelby hasn't blossomed like the Cards hoped he would; he's become pretty much a one-trick pony, ditching his once formidable hook and going to the ol' number one on 74% of his pitches. His swing-and-miss has dropped every year, from 12% to 9% to 7%, so guys are getting used to the pattern. He has been throwing a few more cutters, but he could stand another offering to keep hitters guessing.
Of late, he's just 1-5 in his past nine starts, and the Cards are 2-7 behind him during that span. And he's been pretty bad against Pittsburgh, going 2-5 with a 4.70 ERA.
The lineup: Gregory Polanco RF, Josh Harrison LF, Cutch CF, Neil Walker 2B, Russ Martin C, Ike Davis 1B, Pedro 3B, Jordy Mercer SS and Volquez P.
The game starts at 7:15 and will be aired on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- More roster movement: Pittsburgh recalled OF Jaff Decker and optioned Brandon Cumpton to Indy. Jaff heated up after a slow start and is hitting .266 for the Tribe. He was 0-for-3 in a cup of coffee stay with the Bucs earlier in the year. In his first nine games this month, he hit .344 with four doubles, a triple, two RBI and six runs scored.
- Starling Marte is on bereavement leave because of the loss of his mother-in-law.
- Mark Simon of ESPN's Insider posted "Harrison Is Legit."
- Yadier Molina did more than sprain his thumb. He'll miss 8-12 weeks with torn thumb ligament. Brandon Phillips of the Reds suffered the same injury last night, and will have surgery to correct it.
- RHP Jameson Taillon has slipped in The Sporting News Top Fifty list. Frank Neville wrote that the 22-year old "Taillon still has the ceiling of a No. 2 starter, but losing a critical year of development time (to TJ surgery) makes him a riskier bet to reach his potential."