Eddie's last start was a no-decision in Pittsburgh’s win over Arizona Friday night. Volquez has been a little iffy since tossing a complete game win, going 0-1 with a 5.74 ERA in three starts since then, so the Bucs could stand to see him pick it up this month.
This would be a good team to start against. Edinson is 5-0 with a 1.95 ERA in six career starts against the Fish. The last time he met them was last year with the Padres when he took a decision from Ricky Nolasco.
Flynn was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans on Tuesday when Jacob Turner was DFA'ed. In 21 starts for NO this season the 24-year-old Flynn owns a 7-8, 4.00 ERA line. He's pitched once for the Marlins this season, allowing two runs in three innings June 27 against Oakland, and in 18 IP last year had an 8.50 ERA.
He's a big guy, listed at 6-8, 240. His fastball sits at 91-92 and touches 96 to go with a change and slider, along with a show-me curve. Flynn is considered one of the Marlin's top prospects and was one piece of the 2012 Anibal Sanchez. Jarred Cosart, the scheduled starter, was scratched with a minor oblique issue.
The lineup: Josh Harrison LF, Jordy Mercer SS, Russ Martin C, Gaby Sanchez 1B, Starling Marte CF, Jayson Nix 3B, Gregory Polanco RF, Michael Martinez 2B and Volquez P. Still no Neil and they're still not sure waht to do about Cutch.
The game begins at 7:05 and will be broadcast by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- How hot is Josh? During his current 10 game hitting streak, he's gone 20 for 44 (.455), with six doubles, one triple, five home runs, three walks and three stolen bases to go along with six multi-hit contests. Harrison is the first Pirate with at least 20 hits, including 12 or more extra-base hits, in a 10-game span since Dave Parker in September 1978; prior to Parker, you have to go way back to Paul “Big Poison” Waner, who did it in May 1932.
- The Pirates have won nine of their last 11 games played at PNC Park and 15 of their last 19. Pittsburgh’s 35-22 home record is the best in the NL. The Bucs have won each of their last five series played here and six of their last seven, going 12-4-1 in their first 17 home series.
- Four is the magic number: when Pittsburgh scores four or more runs in a game, they're 48-12. When they're held under four runs, they're 12-41.
- The Brewers have acquired RHP Jay Jackson from the Pirates for cash, Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel tweeted. Jackson, 26, has posted a 4.89 ERA in 84 2/3 innings as a swingman with Triple-A Indianapolis, but with 9.2 K/9 and 3.8 BB/9. He's got the stuff but not the command yet.
- RHP Robby Rowland, 22, was released by the Bucs. They got him as a youngster in the Brett Lorin trade with Arizona, but after a strong 2012 season couldn't get it together; his career minor league ERA was 5.28.