Cole was optioned briefly in a paper move for the Bucs and recalled today. If the burnt option worries you, fret no more - it has to be at least a 20-day demotion to count, so it's as if it never happened. The Cole Train has won four of his last five decisions. His last start was against Lynn, and he got a no-decision in a game the Bucs went on to win 5-2, the contest decided by the bullpens.
The Cards are no stranger to the youngster. He's 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA in three career starts, all this year. He did see them in the playoffs last season, and went 1-1 with a 2.45 ERA.
Since July 4th, Lynn is 6-2 with a 1.85 ERA. In 63-1/3 IP, the righty has allowed 13 runs on 54 hits, walked 23 and struck out 56 batters. He looks as if he may be developing into the guy that Adam Wainwright will pass the torch to.
He's 1-1 against the Bucs in three starts this year. He gave up four runs in an April game, and in his last two outings has surrendered four runs in 12-2/3 innings, so he's been solid but not dominating against Pittsburgh so far this year. Overall, he has a 4.88 ERA against Pittsburgh in his career; the Bucs have always been a fastball-hitting team, and the four-seamer is Lynn's bread and butter.
The Lineup: Josh Harrison 3B, Andrew Lambo RF, Cutch CF, Neil Walker 2B, Russ Martin C, Ike Davis 1B, Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer SS and Cole P. No word on whether Travis Snider is available; Pedro has pretty much been on ice since spraining his foot.
The game starts at 2:15 and will be aired by Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Call-Ups: The media gang reported that the Pirates added C Tony Sanchez and RHP Stolmy Pimentel to the roster today. Also include Gerritt Cole, who was optioned on a paper move, to the list. Today is the last game for Indy, so more September call-ups should arrive afterward.
- Josh All Day: Josh Harrison's 41 hits in August were the most by a Bucco in a month since Andrew McCutchen's 41 in July 2012 when he took home NL Player Of The Month. He led NL in total bases (71), extra-base hits (19), hits (41) and slugging % (.602) while hitting .347 and scored 21 runs in August (thx, ESPN's Buster Olney).
- Post Season: In case you were wondering how the Bucs will manage a post-season roster after all their recent moves, the MLB eligibility rules were amended this year so that everyone on the 40-man roster as of August 31st could be used, probably to eliminate all the end-of-season DL shuffling for hangnails.
- Ground Chuck: Charlie Morton will toss a sim game tomorrow as the Bucs try to evaluate whether he's healthy enough to help in September and keep his arm stretched out if he is.
- Playoff Bound: Bradenton in the Florida State League swept Charlotte yesterday and won the second half division title. They'll play Fort Myers in a best-of-three series starting Tuesday with the winner moving on for a best-of-five championship series. The Marauders were the only Pirate farm team to make it into the playoffs this year.