Jeff's last start was a 3-1 win over Wainwright at PNC Park Wednesday afternoon. Like Frankie Liriano, wins are tough to come by for the southpaw. He's left five of his starts this season with a lead only to be the victim of a blown save. Locke's been on a roll lately, going 4-0 in his last five starts.
He's matched up well with the Redbirds, with a 2-1 slate and 2.70 ERA in four career starts. Three outings were last year; in 2014, he topped Waino last week, giving up a run over seven innings.
Wainwright has a 4.68 ERA in his last eight starts, and said after Wednesday's loss to the Bucs that he's pitching through a "dead arm" period. That's music to Bucco ears. Though he's 10-5 against the Pirates, they've traditionally been able to put up some points on him, as his career ERA is 4.18.
The Lineup: Josh Harrison 3B, Andrew Lambo RF, Cutch CF, Neil Walker 2B, Russ Martin C, Ike Davis 1B, Starling Marte LF, Jordy Mercer SS and Locke P.
The game starts at 8:15 and will be aired on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Leading the League: Josh Harrison's .311 BA is the best in the NL.
- See Ya In September: The Bucs announced their call-ups from Indy: LHP Jeff Locke, OF Gregory Polanco, RHP John Holdzkom, RHP Casey Sadler, LHP Bobby LaFromboise and UT Chase d'Arnaud; LaFromboise was the only real surprise in the group. d'Arnaud had to be added to the 40-man roster; UT Michael Martinez was DFA'ed.The Pirates have 34 active players now for Clint to play with in the last month.
- Ka-Ching: Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors did a 2015 FA review, and thinks that a "...four year deal north of $50M seems possible" for Russ Martin. That's certainly in the ballpark; we've seen three years at $40M bandied about earlier.
- It's No Holiday: In his last three games, Matt Holliday has gone 7-for-11 with two doubles, three homers and 12 RBIs. The only other Redbird to match that 12 RBI/3 games stretch was Hall-of-Famer Johnny Mize in 1941.
- Ex-Bucs: LHP Mike Zagurski was released and 1B Matt Hague was DFA'ed by the Blue Jays.