|Josh Harrison 2015 Topps Heritage series|
It was Anibal Sanchez's turn to tire; Pedro cranked one over the RC wall, Frankie Cervelli got a deflected infield knock and a sac bunt later, Corey Hart drilled one over The Notch to put the Bucs up 5-1. Detroit made it interesting against Mark the Shark in the ninth, opening with a pair of doubles, a homer by JD Martinez and a single, but another timely DP and a whiff was enough to give Pittsburgh a 5-4 win.
- Cutch tied Jason Bay for the most RBI in PNC Park history at 241 with his third inning sac fly.
- Josh Harrison's lead-off homer was the first long ball allowed by Detroit this season. The last Pirate to hit a leadoff homer in the Home Opener was RJ Reynolds, off the New York Mets Dwight Gooden in 1986.
- Pedro has three homers, and all three have come on first pitches.
- Corey Hart is 3-for-3 as a pinch hitter, with a homer and four RBI. His seventh inning blast today was his 1,000th MLB hit.
- Today's attendance was 39,933 happy fans, the largest regular-season baseball crowd in the history of PNC Park.
- The Giants signed Kevin Correia over the weekend as pitching depth. He signed a major league deal, meaning he's on the 40-man roster, with opt-out dates if he doesn't make the active roster.