Vanimal, as is becoming his MO, scuffled throughout his outing, giving up nine hits during his six IP and again dodging raindrops; the pinpoint command of 2014 hasn't been there this season. He needed a gem anyway, as the Pirate batters met their match in Hammel.
He went eight shutout frames, limiting Pittsburgh to four hits and no walks *surprise* while collecting a season-high seven whiffs. The Bucs' best shot at the scoreboard was in the fifth when Josh was up with two down and runners at second and third. Three sliders later - the last one in the dirt - he sat down, and that was the ballgame for all intents and purposes.
Jeff Locke toes the rubber tonight against Travis Wood, looking to knot the series.
|Rob Scahill tossed two scoreless last night, keeping his ERA at 0.00 (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
- The Kid ran his hitting streak up to 10 games last night while Starling Marte's six-game streak skidded to a halt.
- Gregory Polanco is "day to day" with groin soreness; he apparently tweaked his leg during the D-Back series.
- Every Cub position player except LF Chris Coghlan had a hit.
- Kind of reminiscent of the fan at PNC getting clocked by a foul, a lady in the seats at Wrigley was knocked out when Addison Russell's bat flew into the stands. These Pirate-Cub games are becoming hazardous duty assignments for fans in the box seats.
- The Pirates were supposed to be on RHP Brandon McCarthy during the off season, but he signed with the LA Dodgers. He just tore his UCL and is out for the season.
- MiB's Tyler Maun takes a look at Altoona 1B Josh Bell.