|The Kid is heating up (photo: Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
Gerrit solved what has been traditionally a problem for him, getting ahead in the count, tossing 27 first-pitch strikes against the 32 batters he faced, though he still used 107 pitches. Jared Hughes closed out the eighth with a whiff and the Shark worked a quiet ninth against the bottom of the order for the save.
AJ Burnett takes on Arizona's D-backs: Rubby De La Rosa tonight.
- Neil Walker wasted no time extending his hitting streak to seven games with a first inning RBI single.
- Cole Train is on quite a roll. Since Sept 7th of last season, he's 7-0 /2.65 ERA with 68 K in 57- 2/3 innings.
- All four Pirate runs scored on two-out hits. The second was particularly impressive: with two gone and the 8-9 hitters up, Jordy walked, Gerrit singled and both came around on Josh's two-bagger to the wall in right center.
- At 9-8, Pittsburgh is over the .500 mark for the first time this year.
- Pirate fans missed most of the action; it was 3-0 before the Penguin game (they lost 2-1 in OT) was over and Root Sports picked up the game.