The Lineup: Josh Harrison 3B, Gregory Polanco LF, Cutch CF, Neil Walker 2B, Corey Hart RF, Pedro 1B, Fran Cervelli C, Jordy Mercer SS, AJ P.
Starling gets a time-out tonight, sending El Coffee to left and the hot bat of Hart to right (guess that knee is feeling OK).
|AJ Burnett (photo Justin Aller/Getty Images)|
- AJ's middle initial should be K. With 2377 career strikeouts, he ranks second among active pitchers behind CC Sabathia's 2445 hums. On the all-time list, AJ ranks 43rd, just 19 behind Sandy Koufax. Burnett is 23 strikeouts shy of becoming just the 41st player in MLB history to reach the 2400 K mark.
- Yesterday's odd stat: Corey Hart's 1,000th hit was a homer, coming as a pinch hitter yesterday. His first career hit was also a home run that came off Cincinnati’s Jason Standridge at Miller Park in 2005.
- Another odd stat: Anibal Sanchez gave up four homers in 126 IP in 2014; he surrendered three in 6-1/3 frames against the Pirates Monday. He did give up a handful of long balls in the spring, so last season may have been a small sample anomaly. Still, it's nice to see the boys lose a few baseballs.
- The Tigers were undefeated coming into the game, but manager Brad Ausmus kept the loss in perspective, saying "I wasn't expecting to go 162-0."
- The Bucs are a different animal at home, where they've won 51 games last year and 50 more in 2013. Must be pierogie power! Actually, the Pirates posted an 8-2 record against AL teams at PNC Park last season and have gone 15-6 the past two seasons against the junior circuit on their home turf. The Bucs have won seven straight home games against AL clubs, including a two-game sweep of the Tigers in August, 2014.
- IF Pedro Florimon cleared waivers and was sent to Indy.
- Only two pitchers have lit up the gun at 100+ more than once so far this season: Arquimedes Caminero (6) and Aroldis Chapman (5). Wonder why NL Central guys have to sit on the fastball? (S/O to Forbes at Federal)
- John Dreker of Pirate Prospects reports that "John Holdzkom struck out two batters in his inning of work for Indianapolis today but he threw just 8 of his 17 pitches for strikes." And that's why he's at Indy.
- Mike Reinhard of the Harrisburg Patriot News has a profile of the Pirates prospect with a bullet, Altoona RHP Tyler Glasnow. Jake Seiner of MiLB features Austin Meadows of Bradenton, with quick mentions of a few more young guns to watch for in the future.
- Ryan Doumit didn't catch on with anyone this year, but his name has resurfaced as a dark horse potential back up in Cleveland after Yan Gomes went down. (EDIT - very dark horse now that the Tribe has called up Brett Hayes).