Today's Game: Vance Worley gets the start tonight, as he attempts to rebound from his rocky start. He goes against Jimmy Nelson, who handcuffed the Bucs last week thanks to a new, improved go-to hook; we'll see if the Bucco batters adapt to his new weapon. Nelson beat the Pirates and Vanimal 6-0 home at Miller Park on Saturday, giving up two hits over seven innings while striking out a career-high nine. The game begins at 7:05 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
|Pedro Alvarez providing the muscle (Gene Puskar/AP)|
Clint's mixing 'em up again; we're not so sure that mid-April is the optimal rest time, but The Kid has played in all nine games so far, so it is his turn. We're surprised that Jung-Ho Kang didn't get the call; he needs to play more than Sean Rodriguez does. Finally, with the lineup in a team-wide slump, it's tough to not put Andrew in the four hole.
- Chris Stewart completed his rehab at Indy and rejoined the club. As expected, Tony Sanchez has been sent down. It'll be telling to see how they split time between Tony and Elias Diaz.
- With tonight's lineup, every Pirate (except newly recalled Stewart) has started a game. Pedro is the only Pirate who hasn't been given a rest day yet. And that's no mistake. Alvarez has gone deep three times this month.
- Coming into tonight, the Pirates have not committed an error in 53 consecutive innings. They went a season-high 54 innings without a miscue last year.
- Milwaukee's entertainer, Carlos Gomez, was placed on the 15-day DL (retro to 4/16) due to a right hamstring strain.
- RHP Todd Redmond, 29, of Toronto was DFA'ed yesterday, and now has the right to elect free agency if he passes through waivers. He was one of the first Pirates (albeit from Altoona) to be traded during the Huntington era, going to Atlanta for Tyler Bates.