It stayed that way for a while; Locke regained his focus and tossed five scoreless frames. Josh had a tough couple turns on the base paths as he he was caught stealing and then doubled off first on a Walker liner a couple of frames later.
Jose Tabata brought the Bucs within a run with a two-out RBI knock that brought home Pedro in the seventh, and Cutch tied it in the eighth with a solo shot. But in the 13th, Joe Mauer hit his first homer since last August, lining one over the Clemente Wall off Antonio Bastardo. But the Bucco bullpen did its share, going seven frames and allowing just that one run.
|Jose Tabata making his case for the fourth OF spot (photo: Getty Images)|
The Pirates banged some loud outs and threatened a few times, but most often with two down. They cashed in twice with two away, but missed on four other occasions. The last was in the final frame, when Pedro whiffed with Jung-Ho at second.
The Bucs have the day off to ponder what could have been. The Twins used two big innings to sweep the series, while Pittsburgh could only answer a run at a time.
- Jose Tabata is 2-for-2 as a pinch hitter with two RBI since being called up. he's the only Pirate pinch hitter other than Corey Hart to register a hit.
- The Pirates are 0-for-6 in extra inning games this year.
- Cutch tied Jason Bay for the most homers at PNC Park; both have 61.
- Josh wasted no time; his first inning knock stretched his hitting streak to eight games. Ditto for Marte, who now has a seven game streak.
- Altoona's Tyler Glasnow was placed on the disabled list due to a sprained right ankle. He twisted it earlier in the month running the bases, then was batted around when he tried to make a start earlier this week.