|Gerrit Cole goes for number #11 tonight (photo: USAToday)|
Lefties are finally back in vogue, and Cole's caddy Stew is behind the dish. We can't quite fanthom why Corey Hart is in the lineup; if you can, please give us a yell. Actually, he prob got the nod because The Kid has a stomach virus and is out of tonight's lineup.
- Starling Marte "tweaked" his ankle late in yesterday's contest. He had an ice pack wrapped around it post game, but is in the lineup.
- Holy schmoly! Tony Watson is unavailable tonight. Clint decided to give him a night off.
- If you're keeping count, the Pirates have won seven in a row and 20-of-25 games.
- Elias Sports says partial innings (1/3, 2/3) don't count for streak stats, so Fran tied Ed Phelps for the longest shutout string by a catcher at 56 innings, and the Bucco count of consecutive scoreless frames ended at 35.
- Four runs used to be the magic number for the Bucco offense, but the relentless stat hounds at Elias Sports dug up another tidbit: the Pirates have won six times in their last 10 games when scoring three runs or fewer. A Pirate team hasn't done that since 1910.
- Jeff Sullivan of Fangraphs noted what a difference the back foot made in Cutch's comeback from his early season hitting woes.
- Jameson Taillon threw 74 pitches in a five-inning Pirate City outing today.