Ryan, 23, came out of the bullpen to grab a rotation spot when Shane Greene was sent back to AAA to recalibrate. Kyle is a cutter/sinker guy who likes to attack the strike zone, and that helps explain his four HR in 23+ IP. One thing for sure; he'll be plenty rested. He worked 3-1/3 innings on June 24th and then was rained out of his last scheduled start; he even warmed up a bit during the late innings of Tuesday's 14 frame game just in case. The getaway day festivities start at 1:08 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
|Gregory gets a shot against a lefty (2014 Topps Triple Threat series)|
The Lineup - Josh Harrison LF, Jordy Mercer SS, Cutch DH, Starling Marte CF, Jung-Ho Kang 3B, Fran cervelli C, Neil Walker 2B, Gregory Polanco RF, Sean Rodriguez 1B (Liairano P).
Bit of an unusual lineup, against a lefty with a DH. Today Pedro is the only guy benched because of a southpaw (Sean Rodriguez is starting his fourth straight game); Gregory and The Kid, both who have been hot lately, get a nod. Best of both worlds scenario with Cutch; his bat is in the lineup but his knees are on the bench.
- Last night was The Kid's first four-hit contest since September 19th, 2013 against the Padres. Other hot Buccos: Cutch has an eight game hitting streak; Starling and Jordy have put together seven gamers and Neil has a five game run..
- The Bucs leave Motown and return to Pittsburgh to begin a 10-game homestand that will take them to the All-Star break. They host the Indians, Padres and close out with a four game set against the Cards.
- Fangraph's Zachary Abate took a look at which pitchers were the best and worst at giving up infield hits. To our surprise, the only Bucco to make the victims list was Jared Hughes - 24% of his hits have been of the infield variety.
- Jake Seiner of MiLB includes Alen Hanson among this week's Hot Prospects.
- The Bucs first international free agent signing was 16 year-old Bahaman OF'er Larry Alcimes, Jr, who is already 6'-2-1/2" and projects as a power bat. He was inked for $350,000.