The rookie lefty got hit hard in an early April start, was sent down and recalled this month from the PCL, where he was an All-Star, to replace Jaime Garcia. He's a plus control guy with a 90-ish heater and change; he also has a curve and slider. The scouting reports we saw consider him a back-end major league starter, slotted as a 4/5 rotation arm.
The game starts at 8:05 - back-to-back national games for the Bucs, how about that - and will be on ESPN and 93.7 The Fan. There are supposed to be scattered T-storms, with the greatest chance for precip just before game time. Noah would be right at home in Pittsburgh.
- Last night’s victory was Pittsburgh’s third win of the week when trailing after six innings; the Pirates were 1-24 in such games prior to Wednesday’s rally to topple the Padres.
- If you were wondering, Mark the Shark had a scheduled day off yesterday.
- The Pirates have recalled RHP Wilfredo Boscan from Triple-A Indianapolis and optioned Steve Lombardozzi to Indy, with Deolis Guerra and Vanimal both burned up yesterday.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Vance Worley has a 1.88 ERA with a WHIP of 0.888 and OPS+ of 60 from the pen. His stats as a starter were 4.38 ERA, 1.615 WHIP and 127 OPS+.
- 27th round draft pick Ryan Nagle, an OF'er from Illinois, has agreed to terms with the Pirates, pending a physical, with a $160,000 signing bonus.