- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN ran a survey of the MLB managers performance among industry guys; Clint showed well, though behind the usual suspects.
- LHP Clayton Richard, 31, who put up 4-2/2.09 slash at Indy, was sold to the Cubs (and will in fact start for them tomorrow) because of his opt-out option. That's pretty much the way Pittsburgh acquired Jason Grilli from the Phils in 2011. The red flag on him was his four K/per nine. We look at it as the Buc staff salvaging another MLB career, even if it cuts into the back-end pitching depth in the short term.
|Clayton & Ray Searage (photo Dave arrigo/Pirates)|
- To stub another toe, RHP Jameson Taillon will have hernia surgery, ending his comeback campaign as he's slated to miss two months. We didn't expect to see him this year, but it will delay his timetable to the show as this became a lost season. Pending his recovery time & conditioning, he could go to the Arizona Fall league for some work.
- Ben Badler reports the Pirates have signed a third international player, OF'er Kevin Sanchez, for $450K.
- Fallout from a sweep: The Tigers DFA'ed relievers Joba Chamberlain and Tom Gorzelanny today.