Cole is 1-2 since the All-Star break, and is coming off a performance against the Dodgers where his command was uncharacteristically off. The Cole Train is 2-2 with a 3.24 ERA in five matchups with St. Louis, winning 5-2 on July 10th at PNC Park. Gerrit is 0-2 at Busch,with both starts coming last season.
Wacha has stepped up to ace status. He's tossed 14 straight scoreless innings and has a 1.42 ERA in two starts against Pittsburgh this season with a win and no-decision. First pitch is at 8:15 and will be aired by ESPN, Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- Gerrit is looking to join teammates AJ Burnett (16-10, 2012) and Francisco Liriano (16-8, 2013) as the only Pirates to win 15+ games over the last 16 seasons after Todd Ritchie went 15-9 in 1999.
- A bit of trivia from @AceballStats: Andrew McCutchen has never grounded into a double-play when facing a 2-0 or 3-0 count.
- The Cards have won seven straight meetings at Busch Stadium, including all four this season in come-from-behind rallies.
- Fran will catch Gerrit for the first time since May 6th, a 3-0 loss to the Reds.
- Go figure: The Pirates are a MLB-best 24-15 in one-run decisions overall, yet their record in one-run games in the NL Central is now 1-8.
- In their rehab debuts, Josh went 1-for-4 and Jordy 0-for-3 at Indy. Both are hoping to return to action later this month.
- Baseball America looked at Class AA, and selected Josh Bell (hitting), Tyler Glasnow (pitching) and Gift Ngoebe (defense - SS) as having the best tools at that level.
- Per @EliasSports, it wasn't just Pittsburgh. Home teams were 15-0 on Tuesday, the most games played on a single day without a home team loss in MLB history.
- How tough is the NL Central? The Sporting News took a peek.