Vogelsong had been relegated to the pen, but his three starts during Mike Leake's DL stint (2-1, 2.40) got him back in good graces. He bumped Chris Heston, who was originally slated to go during this series but instead was optioned back to the minors. Vogelsong dropped a 4-3 decision to the Bucs in June, and is 2-4/3.55 against his old teammates lifetime. The game starts at 8:05 and will be on ESPN and 93.7 The Fan.
- Starling has a seven game hitting streak going into tonight.
- August has proven the Pirate mettle this year and is a great harbinger for the future. This is the first season that Clint has the Bucs above .500 (13-6 with eight contests remaining) during games played during this month, a good indicator that the club is finally deep enough to survive the summertime grind thru rest & replacement.
- You think the Bucs are a bit frustrated? How about the Cubs, a club that's gone 15-4 in August yet picked up just two games on Pittsburgh and four on the Cards?
- The first three games between the Pirates and Giants have drawn 112,622 fans and could establish a new record today. The PNC Park high water mark for a four-game series is 150,819, set last June 26-29th for the New York Mets.
- The wounded puppies continue to mend; AJ fired a couple of dozen fastballs off the mound yesterday, the first time he's worked off the mound since his arm injury.