Ray has dropped seven of his last eight decisions after a blazing start and is 0-3 with a 5.87 ERA in August. He lost 4-2 last year as a member of the Tigers in his only outing against Pittsburgh. First pitch is at 7:05 and will be carried on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- How much diff does glovework make? The Buc starters have a 4.88 ERA in August, but a 3.56 xFIP. Loosely translated, the fielders are giving up a gift run per game behind the starters. The August BABIP is .322. Hurry back, Jordy!
- Yesterday was a first for Pedro Florimon. Prior to yesterday's game, he had never banged a walk-off hit at any pro level in his baseball career.
- Neil Walker is one of just two second basemen to collect at least 20 doubles and 10 home runs in each of the last six seasons. The other is Seattle’s Robinson Cano.
- In the past 23 games, the team is 16-7 and has been driven by an offense that has averaged 5.5 runs per game during that stretch.
- The Pirates are 26-15 in one run games, the best record in MLB.
- Pittsburgh (70-47) sits five games behind St. Louis. They're three games ahead of the Cubs and six up on the Giants for the wild card with 45 games to go.
- @ChrisCotillo reports the Bucs are signing Travis Snider to a minor league deal; no other confirmation as of now.