Mad Bum carried the Giants to the WS crown last year with his low, sweeping delivery and funky mechanics. He's been on a roll with an 0.71 ERA, 35 strikeouts and one walk in his last three starts. The last time the Pirates saw him, he was breaking Buc hearts in 2014's play-in game. Bumgarner went the distance, tossing a four-hitter with 10 K, crushing Pittsburgh 8-0. Still, in the regular season, he's 1-3 with a 3.24 ERA overall, so there's hope. The game starts at 7:05 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- As anticipated, RHP Josh Wall is who was DFA'ed to clear a roster spot for Josh. Tough return trip for Harrison; he was 1-for-19 in Indy and now has to face Bumgarner. His injury estimate of seven weeks was just about spot on.
- The Pirates are 4-0 against the Giants this season and have gone 8-1 in their last nine meetings. They're also 17-3 against teams from the NL West this year and 9-1 v the West at PNC Park. The Pirates have swept four series of the six they've played against the West.
- Pirate starters hadn't won back-to-back games since July 4-5th until Jay & Charlie earned victories over the past two nights.
- Last night, Neil Walker connected for his 90th career home run, which was also his 800th career hit.
- The Giants just traded for the Reds' Marlon Byrd as Hunter Pence went on the 15 day DL.