Hammel hasn't been getting very deep into games since a pre-ASG knee injury, but he did get into the seventh in beating St. Louis in his last outing. He's split with the Bucs this year, getting chased in Wrigley but spinning an eight inning, four hit shutout at PNC Park. Both games were in April. Overall, he's 5-4/3.49 against the Pirates. The game starts at 1:35 and will be on Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
Big time series; the Pirates have to stay hot to keep the pressure on St. Louis, while the Cubs look to close the gap for home-field for the wild card. And it is a big match-up; the Bucs and Cubs play seven games before the final gun.
- JHK comesinto the day carrying a six game hitting streak.
- Vance Worley has been freed; the Bucs called him up today and DFA'ed Radhames Liz.
- The Cubs were also off yesterday; they arrived in Pittsburgh Sunday.
- This is the Pirates first twin bill of the season.
- Sunday’s 7-6 victory was Pittsburgh’s 11th consecutive win at home in games decided by a one-run margin, the club’s longest home winning streak since winning 13 straight one-run decisions at Three Rivers Stadium in 1977.
- Pretty epic tale by Stephen Nesbitt in the Post Gazette about the Bucs signing of Starling Marte and the state of baseball generally in the Dominican.