Martinez is wearing down a bit; he's given up three or more runs in four straight starts and five of his last six outings. He missed Tuesday turn as the Cards are trying to limit innings for him and Michael Wacha, especially now that they have that big 6-1/2 game pad in the NL Central. Martinez is 2-1, but with a 4.35 ERA, against Pittsburgh this year. He's managed to find the big out when he's needed it, with 23 K in 20-1/3 IP. The game starts at 8:15 and will be on MLB Network, Root Sports and 93.7 The Fan.
- The Pirates four game losing streak is their longest since mid-May.
- One Pirate who hasn't fallen under Martinez's spell is Gregory Polanco. He's 8 for 11, with two doubles and a triple against Martinez lifetime. El Coffee's due to have a couple of balls find some grass after hitting into some hard outs against the Brewers.
- Pittsburgh is 4-18 since early 2013 (1-5 this year) at Busch Stadium; the Cards have the best 2015 home record in baseball at 48-20.
- AJ threw a sim game today, and reported feeling good, so... Ishy was also running the bases and looked pretty sturdy; he's due back from the DL on the 7th.
- Jon Jay comes off the DL for this series. Brandon Moss should start today; he's 6-for-8 lifetime against Happ.