- Neftali Feliz signed a one year/$3.9M contract with the Bucs, according to Jeff Passan's report. He was pretty terrible last year, but is going into his age 28 season with 97 saves. The Bucs are apparently convinced that his arm woes - he came back from TJ surgery in 2014 and an old elbow issue - are behind him, and little Uncle Ray tinkering will buff him up. Feliz, a fastball/slider guy, is down in his velo a bit, but still brought it at 94-95 last year, a tick above his 2014 speed. EDIT: C Tony Sanchez was later announced as the 40-man roster loser; we thought the Bucs were holding on to see if he could be used as a trade piece, but apparently not.
|Neftali Feliz - 2009 Topps Heritage|
- Mike Axisa of CBS Sports thinks that the Bucs are one of a handful of clubs that are a good fit for Cliff Lee.
- ESPN's Buster Olney tweeted that "The Orioles and Mets have been among those teams involved in talks with lefty reliever Antonio Bastardo."
- How to solve the Buccos clean-up hitter dilemma? Tim Boyle of Inning Eaters suggests benching Jordy, playing Jung-Ho at short, and trading for the Twins 3B Trevor Plouffe, who may be available because of Miguel Sano's ascent.
- It's getting closer by the minute. The Pirates first full-squad spring drills will begin on February 23rd at Pirate City. Pitchers & catchers report on the 17th to kick off camp.
- Non-roster (not on the 40-man) invitees to camp so far are P Wilfredo Boscan, P Steven Brault, IF Juan Diaz, C Ed Easley, IF Cole Figueroa, P Jim Fuller, IF Adam Frazier, IF Dan Gamache, P Chad Kuhl, P Kelvin Marte, C Reese McGuire, OF Danny Ortiz, P Curtis Parch, OF Antoan Richardson, C Jacob Stallings, P Trevor Williams and P Robert Zarate. Diaz, Easley, Fuller & Marte are recent MiLB signs with invites.