Pitchers: Jeff Locke (0-2, 7.24) begins the series against Chad Bettis (2-0, 3.33). Jeff is a guy that just when you're ready to write him off comes up with a string of nice outings. The bullpen is pretty much running on fumes, so this would be a grand time for Locke to step it up, throw some strikes and string together some innings. Bettis broke into the rotation last year and was pretty solid, finally getting command of his off speed stuff after tinkering with his mechanics a bit. He's starting today in place of Jorge De La Rosa, who is recovering from an illness. He flipped spots with Bettis and is slated to go tomorrow.
|Jeff is looking to put up six innings today (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
Lineup: John Jaso 1B, Matt Joyce LF, David Freese 3B, Starling Marte CF, Fran Cervelli C, Gregory Polanco RF, Josh Harrison 2B, Jordy SS, Locke P. Cutch gets a day off
Colorado (9-9) has lost four of five after blowing a three-run, ninth inning lead in a 12-10 defeat to the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday. They ran through six pitchers, including Chris Rusin, who was tentatively slated to work today, but aren't nearly as tattered as the Bucs since they only went nine frames. The Pirates didn't call anyone up, so they're going with what they've got.
- The Pirates are 10-3 when scoring more than three runs.
- One take from yesterday's marathon - Cutch's wheels are A-OK. Statcast had him going from first to home in 10.7 seconds, at one point hitting 20 MPH!
- Arqimedes Caminero earned his first MLB save last night in his 102nd career outing.
- Two other stats dug up by @joe_block: Jon Niese was the first Pirate pitcher with an RBI hit since Ken Brett in 1974. A more amazing tidbit - for all the bullpen woes, the Pirate pen retired 13 Snakes with the winning run aboard.
- Indy's Josh Bell was named the International League's player of the week after slashing .400/.438/.767 with two homers.
- The Indians also announced that IF Pedro Florimon has been officially assigned to them. To make roster space, OF Antoan Richardson has been released.