Pitchers: Francisco Liriano (1-0, 2.45) faces Colin Rea (0-1, 5.56). Frankie is back on the bicycle after a hammy tweak; so far this season, his stuff has been nasty, even though his command has been erratic, especially the fastball. He doesn't have much of a record against the Friars, but has been pretty solid - he's 1-2/ 2.13 in six career starts. Rea, 25, has four pitches he can use, and held his own when he was called up late last season. This year, it's been a bad start, then a good start. One thing to watch for: sometimes he gets a bit on the wild side, and that plays right into the Buccos hands. Rea has never gone against the Pirates.Lineup: John Jaso 1B, Cutch CF, David Freese 3B, Starling Marte LF, Fran Cervelli C, Gregory Polanco RF, Josh Harrison 2B, Jordy Mercer SS, Liriano P. What - you expected something different?
|Frankie's back (photo Gregory Bull/AP)|
- The Bucs were 5-2 against San Diego in 2015, splitting a four game set at Petco and sweeping three at home. It was the first time since 2003 the Pirates took a season series from the Friars. The Padres are in a bit of a spin, having dropped five of their last seven games.
- This is the start of a 16 game stretch without a break for the Bucs, and will be a real test for the staff so far as getting deeper into games.
- Pirates Prospects reports that OF Austin Meadows, who fractured an orbital (eye socket) bone is back in action at Pirate City. In more good news, the site tweets that C Elias Diaz is throwing again this week, so it may be that his elbow escapes the knife.
- Jared Hughes' rehab date has been pushed back from tonight, but not to worry. It has nothing to do with his back, but he has a bug he's fighting.
- And wow - did you know there was an assassination threat made on Roberto Clemente? John Schalcosky of the Facebook page "Odd, Mysterious and Fascinating History of Pittsburgh" has the FBI file at this link.