Pitchers: Jeff Locke (2-3, 5.00) toes the rubber in the middle game against Rubby De La Rosa (4-4). Four of Jeff's last five starts have been solid; he, like Frankie, got clobbered by the Cubs. he hasn't seen the D-Backs since 2014; in his three starts against them, he's basically been pounded. Rubby already has a 2016 Pirates notch in his belt; he went six innings in April, giving up a run on three hits with six K.
|Jeff was strong against the Braves in his last outing (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Lineup: John Jaso 1B, Cutch CF, Gregory Polanco RF, Starling Marte LF, David Freese 3B, Josh Harrison 2B, Jordy SS, Stew C, Locke P. JHK gets another R&R day; we'd expect some down time during his return. Odd for Fran to get back-to-back nights off; prob all those little bruises adding up.
- The Pirates placed Tony Watson on the paternity list and sent Arquimedes Caminero to the 15-day DL with a left quad strain, hmmmm. Rob Scahill and Kyle Lobstein were recalled from Indy.
- Pittsburgh has won 7-of-10 contests and are five games behind the Cubs and two ahead of the Cards.
- Five qualifying Pirates are hitting .300+: Starling Marte .325, Josh Harrison .314, Gregory Polanco .307, Jordy Mercer .307 and John Jaso .306.
- August Fagerstrom at Fangraphs has a detailed piece on Frankie's season so far; it's based on locattion, location, location and batters being patient.
- Snake skipper Chip McHale chimed in on Arquimedes Caminero, telling the media that if didn't bean his guys on purpose, he doesn't deserve to play at this (MLB) level because of his control issues As for the players clocked, Nick Ahmed seems OK, with a bruise on his jaw, while Jean Segura was being checked for concussion-like symptoms. It'll be interesting to see if there's any blowback tonight.