Pitchers: Francisco Liriano (4-5, 5.25) takes on Carlos Martinez (6-5, 3.76). We don't have to waste much type on Frankie's recent woes - He's been a mess, and until he can command his fastball is likely to remain one. The Bucs gave him a couple of days of extra rest and side work, so we'll see if that move helps straighten out the big lefty. This is a rematch of the Pirates 4-2 victory in May, when Martinez left the game in the fourth due to fatigue brought on by the flu. Four of his last five starts have been mediocre; the other was at the end of the month when he went eight shutout innings against the Brew Crew. This is Martinez's third career start at PNC Park and sixth overall appearance; he's 1-2/5.30 here.
|Frankie leads a squad of beat up Bucs against the Cards tonight (photo Gregory Bull/AP)|
Lineup: JJ 1B, Cutch CF, Gregory RF, JHK 3B, Starlig LF, Josh 2B, Jordy SS, Stew C, Frankie P. Stew not only has a bruised arm, but he also took a foul ball (or two) off the ankle and is still soldiering on. Catchers are a different breed of cat. The bench is short again as Figgy was sent down - it's now Freeser, Matt Joyce, S-Rod & Erik Kratz.
- Fran Cervelli had surgery today to remove a fractured hamate bone and is expected to be out from 4-6 weeks; that injury usually affects the hitting for quite a while afterward. The Pirates bought Erik Kratz from the Angels (yes, that Erik Kratz) and DFA'ed Trey Haley off the 40 man roster. Erik doesn't hit worth a lick (.210 lifetime) but has a strong defensive rep. Elias Diaz being hurt bit the Bucs, tho we still would have liked to see Jake Stallings get a look. And no, don't expect JJ to don the gear after his concussion history.
- Ken Rosenthal reports that Gerrit Cole will undergo a MRI today.
- Rob Schahill was recalled from Indy and Arquimedes Caminero was activated from the DL. Kyle Lobstein and Cole Figueroa were optioned back to AAA. The bullpen is back to eight arms again, with AJ Schugel and Jared Hughes unavailable.
- From Dan Zangrilli of 93.7 The Fan: "Clint Hurdle indicated last night that he was one batter away from putting Sean Rodriguez on the mound and Cory Leubke at 1B."
- Can't cool off Curve OF Austin Meadows - he now has a 20 game hitting streak.
- The Dodgers released Jose Tabata; he lasted longed in the LA organization (albeit in AAA) than Michael Morse did in Pittsburgh.