Pitchers: Wilfredo Boscan (1-0, 2.92) takes on old Bucco nemesis Johnny Cueto (10-1, 2.10). This will Wilfredo's first start as a Bucco, though he's done a solid job as an Indy rotation figure for the past two seasons. Cueto is up to his old tricks. He's riding a seven-game streak and is murder on Pittsburgh, with a lifetime 18-4/2.13 slash in 28 career starts.
|Wilfredo Boscan gets his firrst big league start tonight (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Lineup: JJ 1B, Gregory Polanco RF, Cutch CF, Freeser 3B, Starling Marte LF, Josh Harrison 2B, Jordy SS, Jake Stallings, Boscan P. Jake's catching for Boscan, tonight's call-up and a pitcher who he's familiar with.
- As expected, the Bucs brought up Wilfredo Boscan from Indy and optioned Curtis Partch back. Wilfredo has started 197 times today in the minor/winter leagues.
- Erik Kratz became the third Pirates catcher in the live ball era to hit a home run in a 1-0 game and catch the shutout. The other two were both against the Mets. Humberto Cota did it in 2004 and Ed Ott in 1978, per ESPN Stats.
- Hidden stat: The Pirates are 12-5 against the NL West this season, with seven straight series victories over western foes at PNC Park.
- Great news: Ryan Vogelsong's vision was unaffected by his beaning, and he's slowly getting back into baseball activities.
- He is human: Austin Meadows' 26 game hitting streak ended with an 0-fer last night.
- Josh Bell and Stephen Tarpley rep the Bucco prospects in this weeks MLB Pipeline Farm Report as selected by Mike Rosenbaum.
- A tough time for an old Buc: The Oakland Athletics announced that OF Andrew Lambo is undergoing treatment for testicular cancer at Vanderbilt and had surgery Friday. Hopin' for a quick recovery.