Pitchers: Francisco Liriano (4-7, 5.03) goes against Jeff Samardzija (8-4, 3.14) Frankie has baseball's worst walk rate at 5.6/nine innings and has given up 14 HR. in his last four starts covering 21 IP, he's given up 16 ER while surrendering 20 hits and 16 walks. In a year of disappointing pitching for the Buccos, Liriano may have taken the biggest tumble from grace. If they want back in the wildcard, he's going to have to find his way back home. The Shark has given up two or fewer runs in seven of his last nine starts, Whether or not he'll live up to his big FA contract (5 years/$90M) has yet to be seen, but he's bounced back nicely this campaign, getting deep into games with a healthy (47%) ground ball rate that was missing last year.
|Let's hope Erik doesn't have to come in again tonight (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
- And so it goes...Kyle Lobstein was recalled from Indy while Wilfredo Boscan was optioned back. Curious who we'll see to replace Juan Nicasio on Sunday - Chad Kuhl looks likely, as Tyler Glasnow is pitching tonight.
- Injuries: Gerrit Cole will not return when eligible to come off the DL at the end of the month and Ryan Vogelsong is already throwing off the front of the mound, so good on him.
- Rumor Mill: Jon Morosi says that the Orioles have interest in Frankie, but the Bucs aren't biting.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America has a list of nine underrated MiLB hitters; the Bucs have two in Kevin Newman and Josh Bell.
- Doc Emrick and Bob Costas will work the booth for the Cubs-Pirates match at PNC Park on Friday, July 8th on the MLB Network.