Pitchers: Tyler Glasnow (0-1, 6.75) makes his second start of his fledgling career against Aaron Nola (5-8, 4.41) in a dandy matchup of young guns. Glasnow's first outing was bumpy. He said afterwards his usual velo was missing, along with the consistency of his wipeout curve. So we're guessing he was overthrowing a bit then and hope the butterflies have settled today. Nola opened the year with a 2.65 ERA through his first 12 starts, went through a five outing span where he was pummeled, and found his mojo again last time out against the Marlins. The Phils have lost eight of his last 10 starts, a trend the Pirates hope to continue.
|Tyler on the bump (photo Jonathan Dyer/USA Today)|
Lineup: JJ 1B, Gregory Polanco RF, Cutch CF, Starling Marte LF, Freeser 3B, Fran C, Josh 2B, Jordy SS, Glasnow P. JJ is back to the head of class in the lineup after spending a couple of games in the six hole.
- AJ Schugel was optioned to Indy to create a spot for Tyler Glasnow on the active roster. He and Jared Hughes have options remaining, so we guess AJ lost the coin flip.
- Elias Diaz was called up today. Eric Fryer's wife gave birth to twins this morning, so he's home and on the paternity list
- Jeff Locke has joined Jon Niese in the bullpen.
- Jason Martinez of MLB Trade Rumors looks at nine top prospects who could become trade bait - and the name on top of his list is Indy OF'er Austin Meadows.
- Russ Martin will miss a couple of days with a bad knee. Seems like he steamed in a sauna, took a cold shower, got light headed and fell, banging his knee. Just another reason to avoid the gym...