Pitchers: Francisco Liriano (6-10, 5.38) closes the set versus Matt Garza (1-4, 5.74). Frankie had given us reason to believe, then the wheels came off against Seattle. So who knows which Liriano is going to show up? Garza climbed the bump five straight times without so much as a quality start, tho he did finally get one last outing. The Bucs got to him for five runs in five innings last time out to take a 5-3 win. We're thinkin' we'd take the over on this afternoon's line.
|Will Jekyll or Hyde show up on the hill today? (photo Pittsburgh Pirates)|
Lineup: JJ 1B, Gregory Polanco RF, Cutch CF, Starling Marte LF, Freeser 3B, Josh 2B, Jordy SS, Eric Fryer C, Frankie P. JJ's back at leadoff.
Heads up: we're not going to look at the Pirates deadline deals individually. They have moves to make, and we'll let you know how they stand in our eyes Monday afternoon after the deadline has passed. The FO has quite a bit of shuffling to do yet, and we expect (or at least hope) the dog days roster will take shape by then. As far as yesterday's move, they were diligent to strike while The Shark had optimal value. The proof of the pudding will be how Tony and Neftali perform in their new roles, and of course how Rivero develops; Taylor Hearn is a lotto ticket right now.
- IF Max Moroff (.229/.360/.368) was called up, Steven Brault was optioned back down, and Felipe Rivero has arrived. Don't ask us why Max was chosen; Josh Bell was available (his 10 day window has passed). If Moroff gets in a game, he'll be the 10th rookie to debut this season.
- Ryan Romano of Beyond the Box Score has a look at Felipe Rivero and his toolkit. He finds one nit to pick.
- @RyanSheets_ reports that Chad Kuhl is supposed to take the bump at Indy tomorrow, so it appears his triceps tweak wasn't nearly as serious as the one Cole Train suffered. He could be back up to pitch Saturday against the Reds.
- Once-upon-a-time Bucco Justin Morneau became the 14th active player to homer against all 30 teams yesterday.
- The Cards picked up Zach Duke (2-0-1, 2.63) from the White Sox for OF Charlie Tilson.
- Brew Crew news: Jonathan Lucroy exercised his no-trade clause and vetoed a trade from the Brewers to the Indians after the Tribe just dealt for Andrew Miller. He wanted his 2017 option year scrapped and the Indians felt that was a large part of his value. C'est la vie.