- Injury report: Chad Kuhl is throwing (from flat ground), Tyler Glasnow isn't yet. Stew is doing baseball-type activities and is thought to be a week or so away from rehab. Ryan Vogelsong went seven innings yesterday at Indy, so he's probably ready and just treading water until the trade deadline passes at 4PM on Monday.
- Something to keep in mind - several of the press gang have written that the Pirates are interested in pitching, but only guys that still have some years of team control left contractually. So if you're looking for a big name rental to ride to the rescue, you'll prob be disappointed. It will be interesting - and somewhat telling - to see whom, if anyone, they consider an upgrade over all the young controllable arms the Bucs already have.
|Pirate base running has always been a bone of contention, but stat-wise, it's pretty average (photo Joe Guzzy/Pirates)|
- Some Pirates base running stats from Baseball Reference - the Bucs are above average at stealing bases, average in converting runners into runs, average in runners lost on the base paths, and way low at taking the extra base.
- The Bucs have six of MLB Pipeline's Top 100 Prospects, and MLBP also included their Top 30 Pirate pups, with a couple of newer names added to the roster.
- The Toronto Blue Jays signed C Erik Kratz to a minor league pact after he was DFA'ed by the Bucs and became a free agent. He'll join another ex-Bucco, Tony Sanchez, at AAA Buffalo; Sanchez is hitting just .201.
- The Steelers reported to camp today. Remember when not-so-long ago that used to be the official end of baseball season in Pittsburgh?