Pitchers: Gerrit Cole (7-6, 2.73) v Dan Straily (6-6, 3.80). Cole Train has been all that since coming off the DL; even when he labors, as he did in his last outing, he's kept opponents pretty much off the board. Straily has been on fire himself; he's 5-1 since July. He's 0-1 v the Pirates this year in three outings, but with a sparkly 2.40 ERA, giving up four tallies on nine hits in 15 IP with 12 K. Runs could be hard to come across this afternoon.
|Gerrit takes the bump to close out the series (photo Dave Arrigo/Pirates)|
Lineup: Josh 2B, Starling Marte LF, Cutch CF, Matt Joyce RF, JHK 3B, JJ 1B, Jordy SS, Eric Fryer C, Cole Train P. Gregory and his bum wing are still out; Freeser's elbow has shelved him, too. Fran gets the day-after-night game blow, so this is a classic mix and match getaway lineup as the Bucs try for a sweep of the Reds.
- Pittsburgh has nine guys that have appeared in 90+ games of the 108 played so far this season - Jordy, Starling, Josh, Cutch, S-Rod, Freeser, Gregory, Matt Joyce & JJ.
- The Bucs are trying to win three in a row for the first time since the ASG.
- Mike Axisa of CBS Sports looks at the good and bad of the seven teams in the NL wildcard race.
- Casey McGehee has been recalled by the Tigers.
- Alex Rodriguez will play his final game on Friday, and then become a special advisor/instructor for the NY Yankees.